Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wild Wind


It is decided....with my "weekend" off from work I'll be embarking on a Tour de Colorado.  
Tomorrow (Thursday) after getting home from work and sleeping 'til high noon or so I'll drive the six hours to Glenwood Springs, CO and camp the night at the trailhead.  Friday morning I'll start on what will, hopefully, be a successful 550 mile loop through central Colorado.   
Some highlights of the trip will be:  the newly finished 45 mile bike trail from Aspen, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, the Collegiate Peaks,  climbing up 6 mountain passes (range in summit elevation:  7,950'- 12,326', Colorado National Monument.....
I've been toying with where to go for my upcoming week off...been watching the weather for various locations in my general area and was going to do a Tour de Southern Utah seeing it was sure bet to be sunny, whereas a few days ago the weather for the Colorado loop was rain, thunderstorms....but looks like things might be clear enough to do the loop??  Possibly some scattered thunderstorms??? We'll see soon enough, eh?  
Temps should be a comfortable 70's/40's F....
Am I worried about not being in shape?  Yes and no....I did do a bike ride yesterday in the Flaming Gorge with half the ride being up 7% grade road.  So, hoping that woke my legs up enough for this upcoming tour.  Am I worried about not completing the loop?  Not so much, whatever happens happens...and like Mr. Bob Dylan said, "There's no success like failure..." 
There should be towns with libraries with internet access, but if I fail to find such locations and time I'll update the blog with journal entries....

(Two pics:  first is me punching the wind along the Pacific Ocean, second is of Loretta when we went to Zion Nt'l Park and did the infamous Angels Landing hike....)







2 comments:

  1. So what about the Tour de Texas? I'm sorry I am always selfishly pretending that you biking around the country is as simple and common as me walking to the mailbox.

    Keep us informed, and take as many pictures as you can. Bob is coming to town with Willie Nelson in August...tickets have been bought and we cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I like the photos alot, keep them coming. good luck on this Tour....mc

    ReplyDelete